National Recording Project

  ..

Detail from: Memorial to 158 Squadron by Peter W. Naylor, 2009

St. Saviour's War Memorial, Borough High St.

Summary

Type Sculpture , War Memorial

     The memorial comprises a statue of a private in service kit, on a high long pedestal with rounded ends. Mounted on the flat left (east) and right (west) faces of the pedestal are bronze relief panels: the east panel bears a relief of a battle cruiser at sea, seen across the big guns of a battleship (i.e. the Navy), that on the west, biplanes in flight (the Air Force). Above these panels against the cornice of the pedestal are carved coats-of-arms. The rounded front and rear ends have full-length carvings: that on the front being of St George, in armour, standing on the dragon (to symbolise victory), and that on the rear, a standing, grieving, veiled woman with a naked baby and a dove at her feet, symbolising 'the grief of the present generation [and] the hope of assumed peace of future generations'.
         

Inscriptions

On the pedestal, beneath the bronze panels: - east face: GIVE HONOUR TO THE MEN OF ST. SAVIOUR'S SOUTHWARK / WHO GAVE THEIR LIVES FOR THE EMPIRE 1914-1918 / THEIR NAMES ARE INSCRIBED WITHIN / THE PARISH CHURCH / MAY THEIR MEMORY LIVE FOR EVER IN THE MINDS OF MEN - west face: THIS MEMORIAL WAS ERECTED BY / THE PARISHIONERS OF / SAINT SAVIOUR'S SOUTHWARK / IN THE YEAR 1922

Related works : John Ninian Comper, St Saviour's War Memorial Tablet, Lady Chapel, Southwark Cathedral, unveiled and dedicated immediately following the above ceremony. This memorial comprises 'the list of names, which are cut directly on the stone wall of the screen behind the high altar, and under a mounted St George slaying the dragon, which is carved in relief within a laurel wreath. Over all is the . . . inscription:- Pray for the men of this parish who gave their lives in the Great War, 1914-1919'.

Contributor details

Contributor Role
Clark, P. Lindsey Sculptor
Manenti, Mario Foundry

Element details

Part of work Material Dimensions
Sculpture Bronze None
Pedestal Limestone None
Relief panels Bronze None

PMSA recording information

Reference Region
CLSK29 CL
General condition Poor
Surface condition
  • Corrosion, Deterioration
  • Biological growth
Structural condition
Vandalism
Road Borough High St.
Precise location At the corner with Union Street
A-Z ref None
OS ref None

Sorry, we have no precise geographical information for this item.

Date of design c. 1922
Year of unveiling None
Unveiling details Unveiled and dedicated: Thursday 16 November 1922, by General Lord Horne and Dr W.W. Hough, Bishop of Woolwich.
Commissioned by None
Duty of care None
Listing status II
At risk? No known risk

‹‹ Back to search results