Monument to Sidney Gilchrist Thomas (Gilchrist Memorial)
Pink granite column and pedestal on a concrete platform. Square plan in three vertical sections, each bearing a bronze plaque. The plinth carries a plaque naming contributors to the memorial. The base has a plaque with rope mould surround and gives a description of the Gilchrists. The shaft has a relief bust of Gilchrist, with dates.
Built to commemorate Sidney Gilchrist for his work in eliminating phosphorus in the Bessemer process. Originally sited at Forge Side alongside Gilchrist's laboratory.
Inscription on bronze plaque on pedestal: THIS OBELISK HAS BEEN ERECTED / TO HONOUR THE MEMORY OF / SIDNEY GILCHRIST THOMAS / WHO WITH HIS COUSIN, / PERCY CARLYLE GILCHRIST, CARRIED OUT THE FIRST SUCCESSFUL/ EXPERIMENTS FOR THE REMOVAL OF / PHOSPHORUS FROM THE MOLTEN IRON / IN A BASIC-LINED BESSEMER CONVERTER / DURING THE PERIOD 1877-8, ON THIS SITE OF THE FORMER / BLAENAVON IRON AND STEEL CO. / THIS INVENTION PIONEERED THE BASIC BESSEMER OR THOMAS PROCESS AND / OTHER BASIC STEELMAKING PROCESSES / THROUGHOUT THE WORLD
Inscription on bronze plaque on base of memorial: ERECTED IN JULY 1960 BY THE NEWPORT & DISTRICT / METALLURGICAL SOCIETY, (PRESIDENT G.H. LATHAM ESQ. J.P. LL.D. K.S. J.)/ IN CONJUNCTION WITH THE IRON AND STEEL INSTITUTE FROM / CONTRIBUTIONS BY THE STEEL AND IRON INDUSTRIES OF GREAT BRITAIN AND OTHER COUNTRIES
Relief bronze plaque of Gilchrist on front of memorial with further bronze plaque beneath: 1850 - 1885
PMSA recording information