National Recording Project

  ..

Detail from: Memorial to 158 Squadron by Peter W. Naylor, 2009

Clock Tower

Summary

Type Clock Tower

     Rubble stone battered square tower with S doorway and small side windows at mid height. Timber low clock-stage with clock-face each side flanked by louvred square panels under overhanging bellcast pyramid slate roof with lead finial.
     Memorial clock-tower to 4th Baron Kensington who owned land in the area. Said to have been built under the supervision of Lord Kensington's agent John Fergusson. Clock was made by J.W. Benson of London.
    

Inscriptions

Inscription on slate tablet above doorway: MARLOES CLOCK TOWER / IN MEMORY OF WILLIAM, FOURTH BARON KENSINGTON / WHO DIED OCTOBER 1896. / THIS CLOCK TOWER WAS / ERECTED BY MEMBERS OF / THE PEMBROKESHIRE / LIBERAL ASSOCIATION. Inscription on ornate cast-metal tablet above slate tablet: PENTREF TACLUSA / Y DOSBARTH / 1990 / BEST KEPT VILLAGE / IN / THE DISTRICT

Contributor details

Contributor Role
Known, Not ---

Element details

Part of work Material Dimensions
Whole work Rubble stone, timber clock-stage, slate roof 610cm high approx

PMSA recording information

Reference Region
PEMB031 AH
General condition Good
Surface condition
  • Biological growth
  • Other
Structural condition
  • Other
Vandalism
  • None
Road None
Precise location Centre of village. North of main street. 250m NW of Church of Saint Peter
A-Z ref None
OS ref SM793084
Date of design 1904
Year of unveiling None
Unveiling details May 1904
Commissioned by Pembrokeshire Liberal Association
Duty of care None
Listing status II
At risk? Not at risk

‹‹ Back to search results