Gladstone Memorial Fountain
Cadw report: 3-sided stone fountain in municipal Renaissance style with a dedication plaque in south face. Relief portraits of Gladstone and his wife in roundels, in west and east faces respectively. Swagged surrounds. Classical flaming urn finial. Base with moulded plinth and scrolled corners. Above these are a sculpted, armed putto sitting astride a dolphin, and at the other corners griffins bearing the arms of the Glynnes and the Gladstones. Acanthus decoration to lower sections with central lozenges containing lion's heads. Fountain now disused.
Erected by the people of Hawarden to commemorate the golden wedding of W.E. Gladstone and his wife in 1889. It was unveiled on 29 December 1890, the former's 81st birthday. Designed and sculpted by Edward Griffith of Chester after a public competition.
W.E. Gladstone married Catherine Glynne of Hawarden Castle in 1839. He lived at the castle from that time, and on the death of the last male representative of the Glynne family in 1874, W.H. Gladstone, the Prime Minister's eldest ston, succeeded to the estate.
Carved out of stone running around three faces of fountain: DRINK YE THE WATER OF LIFE
Incised on left-hand side of stone plaque on south face of fountain: 1839
Incised on right-hand side of stone plaque on south face of fountain: 1888
Incised on stone plaque on south face of fountain: THIS FOUNTAIN / WAS ERECTED BY / PARISHIONERS OF HAWARDEN, IN COMMEMORATION OF THE / GOLDEN WEDDING / OF WILLIAM EWART GLADSTONE, / AND / CATHERINE GLADSTONE, / JULY 25. 1889. / AS A SLIGHT TOKEN OF THE / ADMIRATION AND AFFECTION / INSPIRED BY RESIDENCE / OF FIFTY YEARS.
PMSA recording information