Statue of Sir Charles Morgan
Set on a stepped platform and granite pedestal, a bronze statue of an informally seated Sir Charles Morgan with classical figures to sides of chair and coat of arms to back.
Sir Charles Morgan (1760-1846) was M.P. for Brecon (1787-96) and for Monmouthshire (1796-1831). He was a major local landowner and well-known agriculturalist as well as a benefactor to local schools, institutions and to Newport's industrial development in the first half of the nineteenth century.
Incised on front of pedestal: THIS STATUE WAS RETURNED TO THE / TOWN CENTRE IN MAY 1992 / IN THE PLINTH BY / CLLR. HARRY WILLIAMS / MAYOR 1991 - 1992 / THE STATUE WAS UNVEILED BY / CLLR. ALAN PERRY / MAYOR 1992 - 1993
Incised on right-hand side of pedestal: THIS MEMORIAL WAS ERECTED A.D. 1850 / BY THE FRIENDS OF THE LATE / SIR CHARLES MORGAN OF TREDEGAR BARONET / IN TESTIMONY OF THEIR ATTACHMENT TO THE MAN / WHOSE BENEVOLENCE THEY ADMIRED / AND WHOSE LOSS THEY DEPLORE.
Incised on left-hand side of pedestal: SYR CHARLES MORGAN O TREDEGAR BARWNAD / GANWYD EF CHWEFROB 1760 / BU FARW RHAGEYR 1846 / (Two further lines in Welsh indistinct)
PMSA recording information