Statue of Howel Gwyn
Full figure statue of Howel Gwyn, in an informal stance, gesturing with right hand, holding gloves in left hand. Wearing fur lined coat.
The statue was funded by voluntary contributions. It stands today in Victoria Gardens which Howel Gwyn donated to the town. When the statue was moved into the Gardens, it was positioned so that his finger still pointed to his birthplace.
Howel Gwyn (1806-1888) came from a family of wealthy Breconshire solicitors. He was educated at Oxford University and became a Conservative member of Parliament, first for Falmouth and later for Brecon. He later became sheriff of three Welsh counties, and both town councillor and Mayor of Neath on two occasions. He was a noted local benefactor providing several schools, the church of St. Matthew on his estate at Dyffryn and also donated land for both building and parks to the town. He took an active interest in the administration of the Poor Laws and presided over the Neath Board of Guardians for many years.
Incised on front face of pedestal: HOWEL GWYN / BORN / JUNE 24TH 1806 / DIED / JANUARY 25TH 1888
Related works : See NPT009: Fountain erected in memory of Howel Gwyn at Alltwen
PMSA recording information