Large metal dragon, painted red, with upright wings
The building was erected in 1916 as the Technical Institute, later becoming the University of Wales Institute of Science and Technology. The sculpture was commissioned in the early 1980s when the building was still occupied by UWIST. Since the merger, the Bute Building now houses the Architecture Department of the Cardiff University.
Related works : There is a small dragon by the same artist inside the building.
|Part of work||Material||Dimensions|
|Whole work||Forged and welded mild steel, galvanised and painted||274cm high x 76cm wide x 228cm deep|
PMSA recording information
|Road||King Edward VII Avenue|
|Precise location||Over main entrance to Bute Building, Cardiff University (Building is listed Grade II)|
|Date of design||1984|
|Year of unveiling||1984|
|Commissioned by||University of Wales Institute of Science and Technology|
|Duty of care||Cardiff University|
|Listing status||Not listed|
|At risk?||No known risk|