National Recording Project

  ..

Detail from: Memorial to 158 Squadron by Peter W. Naylor, 2009

Daniel Owen Commemorative Stone

Summary

Type Marker

     Large piece of stone set on square stone base with separate smaller stone in front bearing inscription.
     The stone was unveiled by Councillor T. Ceiriog Williams in June 1958. It marks the site of Owen's birthplace in Maes-y-dre. The house was demolished in 1941.
     Daniel Owen (1836-1895) was the first and most prominent novelist in the Welsh language. He was the youngest of six children, his father and two brothers were killed in a disaster at Argoed pit in 1837. Despite a difficult and impoverished childhood he successfully took part in local literary competitions. He was apprenticed in a tailor's workshop at the age of twelve. In 1865 he entered Bala Theological College but returned to Mold before completing his studies in order to take care of his family. He opened a tailor's and draper's shop but ill-health cut short his preaching. He continued to write and published four novels, many short stories, character sketches and sermons. His book 'Hanangofiant Rhys Lewis' is said to be the first modern novel in the Welsh language.

Inscriptions

Incised on smaller stone: DANIEL OWEN / 1856 - 1895 / YMA GANED EF

Related works : See FLINT006 (Statue of Daniel Owen)

Contributor details

Contributor Role
Known, Not ---

Element details

Part of work Material Dimensions
Stone None 220cm high x 100cm wide
Inscription stone None 45cm high x 77cm wide

PMSA recording information

Reference Region
FLINT005 AH
General condition Good
Surface condition
  • No damage
Structural condition
  • Other
Vandalism
  • None
Road Denbigh Road (A541)
Precise location Slightly set back from main road in Maes-y-dre
A-Z ref None
OS ref SJ237646
Date of design None
Year of unveiling 1958
Unveiling details Unveiled on 28th June 1958
Commissioned by None
Duty of care None
Listing status Not listed
At risk? No known risk

‹‹ Back to search results