Taken from CADW report: 'Stone obelisk on a square stone plinth supported by repaired rubble base. The N side of the base of the obelisk has an inscription in Latin. The remains of iron cramps are set in the faces of the upper part of the obelisk.'
The monument was erected in 1736 by Nehemiah Griffith of Rhual, a member of the local gentry who was influenced by the contemporary fashion for antiquarianism and Celtic Romanticism.
The monument was erected to commemorate victory of the Christian Celts led by Bishop Germanus over Picts and Saxons in 429 AD. The name derives from the story that the Christian forces shouted 'Alleluia' three times before the battle and this, amplified by the surrounding hills, was sufficient to cause the larger heathen forces to panic.
Incised on north side of obelisk (NB: inscription worn in places): AD ANNUM / CCCCXX / Saxones Picriq Bellum adverfus / Britones juildis viribus susciperunt / In Hac Regione Hodieq MAES GARMON / appellata cum in Praedium defcenditur / Apostolicis Britonum Ducibus GERMINO / et LUPO CHRISTUS militabat in Castris / ALLELUIA tertio repetrium exclamabant / Hostile Agmen Terrore prosternitur / Triumphant / Ho ibus Fu s sinc Sanguine / Palma Fide non Viribus obtenta / M P / in VICTORUE ALLELUIATICAE memoria / N G / MDCCXXXVI
PMSA recording information