National Recording Project

  ..

Detail from: Memorial to 158 Squadron by Peter W. Naylor, 2009

Abercynon Colliery Memorial

Summary

Type Other

     Seven ton pennant sandstone block carved to receive three bronze plaques cast from relief sculptures depicting mining activities. Plaque in front of stone with inscription in Welsh and English outlining background to memorial.
     After the closure of Abercynon Colliery in 1988 a memorial was commissioned to commemorate the men who worked and died there from 1889 to 1988. The memorial is located on the site of the colliery. The artist was chosen by members of the Colliery Society and the memorial was dedicated by Mr. Ken Harrison, former Banksman at the colliery in March 1995. The project was funded by public subscription, the business community, the Welsh Development Agency, Mid Glamorgan County Council and Cynon Valley Borough Council.
    

Contributor details

Contributor Role
Allinson, John Sculptor

Element details

Part of work Material Dimensions
Stone Sandstone 180cm high x 175cm wide x 195cm deep
Plaques x 3 Bronze 91cm high x 91cm wide

PMSA recording information

Reference Region
RCT020 AH
General condition Good
Surface condition
  • Metallic staining
Structural condition
  • Other
Vandalism
  • None
Road Navigation Park
Precise location Side of minor road leading into Valleys Innovation Centre
A-Z ref None
OS ref None

Sorry, we have no precise geographical information for this item.

Date of design 1994-95
Year of unveiling 1995
Unveiling details Dedicated on 31st March 1995
Commissioned by Welsh Development Agency
Duty of care Welsh Development Agency
Listing status Not listed
At risk? No known risk

‹‹ Back to search results