A small bronze statuette of Samson, a bearded figure dressed in a loincloth, stands on a circular stone plinth on a square stepped base.
The park was donated to the people of Risca in 1897 by Lord Tredegar to commemorate Queen Victoria's Diamond Jubilee and in return the statue was erected by public subscription 'in recognition of Lord Tredegar's generosity to the neighbourhood.'
Inscription on bronze plaque fixed to front of plinth: JUNE 22ND 1897. / THIS PARK / WAS GIVEN TO / THE INHABITANTS / OF THE / PARISH OF RISCA / BY THE / RIGHT HONOURABLE LORD TREDEGAR / AS A / DIAMOND JUBILEE GIFT. / ERECTED BY PUBLIC SUBSCRIPTION / IN COMMEMORATION OF THE / DIAMOND JUBILEE / OF / HER GRACIOUS MAJESTY QUEEN VICTORIA / AND IN GRATEFUL RECOGNITION OF / LORD TREDEGAR'S / GENEROSITY TO THE / NEIGHBOURHOOD.
Related works : There is a comparable figure on the ironwork canopy fountain at Merthyr Tydfil; see MT009.
PMSA recording information