National Recording Project

  ..

Detail from: Memorial to 158 Squadron by Peter W. Naylor, 2009

Lewis Edwards Memorial

Summary

Type Sculpture

     Bronze half-length bust of Lewis Edwards. Cloaked with left arm crossed across chest covered by cloak, left hand is free of cloak and is holding a book.The pedestal is granite with a square plinth and then shaft tapers on three sides. Inscription on pedestal. Kerb around bust which is set within iron standards and low link chains.
     The bust was commissioned to mark the centenary of Methodist ordinations at Bala. It was unveiled by his daughter, Mrs Dickens Lewis. Another daughter, Mrs. W.R. Evans, and hi son the Rev. D. Charles Edwards were present, and Principal John Rhys of Bala College presided. The bust is a casting of the head and shoulders of the statue at Bala and cost £150.
     Lewis Edwards (1809-1887). Born at Pwllcenawon, Penllwyn, Cardiganshire. Founder and for fifty years Principal of Bala Calvinistic Methodist College (1837-1887). He was a noted teacher and theologian propounding the value of an educated ministry and the importance of education and culture. He argued on behalf of the Presbyterian System, the settled pastorate, the Sustentation Fund, a General Assembly and English-speaking churches. He was moderator of the North Wales Association 1862 and 1875 and of the General Assembly 1866 and 1876. He married Jane Charles in 1836, the grand-daughter of Thomas Charles of Bala and the following year opened a school at Bala which became the preparatory school for ministers of the Calvinistic Methodist denomination. He also had a storng belief in the press; an important contribution in this field was his co-operation with Roger Edwards and Thomas Gee to produce Y Traethodydd in 1845.

Inscriptions

Incised on front of pedestal and painted black: CYFODWYD Y CERFLUN HWN I / ANRHYDEDDU COFFADWRIAETH / Y PARCH / LEWIS EDWARDS / M.A. D.D. / SYLFAENYDD A LLYWYDD CYNTAF / ATHROFA'R BALA 1837 - 1887 / A DYSGAWDWR CENEDL Y CYMRY / FEL LLENOR DUWINYDD A / GWEINIDOG YR EFENGYL / CANWYD / YN MHWLLCENAWON PENLLWYN / HYDREF 27 1809 / BU FARW / YN Y BALA GORFF 19 1887 (This statue is raised in remembrance and to honour the Reverend Lewis Edwards M.A. D.D. Founder and head of the first Bala College 1837-1887 and who taught the Welsh people as a literary man and Minister of God, the gospel).

Related works : See GWYNEDD007: statue of Lewis Edwards at Bala by W. Goscombe John.

Contributor details

Contributor Role
Goscombe John, William Sculptor
Burton, Thames Ditton, A.B. Foundry

Element details

Part of work Material Dimensions
Bust Bronze 85cm high
Pedestal Granite 183cm high

PMSA recording information

Reference Region
CERED017 AH
General condition Good
Surface condition
  • Metallic staining
Structural condition
  • Other
Vandalism
  • None
Road A44
Precise location In the Penllwyn Calvinistic Methodist Chapel on the north side of the A44 in the centre of the village
A-Z ref None
OS ref SN653803
Date of design 1911
Year of unveiling 1911
Unveiling details Unveiled 27th October 1911
Commissioned by None
Duty of care None
Listing status II
At risk? No known risk

‹‹ Back to search results