Type Cross , War Memorial
5 metre high twin columns of stacked slate on square stepped slate base. The cross comprises thousands of individually cut and shaped pieces of Welsh slate, mined from the Llechwedd slate quarries at Blaenau Ffestiniog.
Information from Cywaith Cymru : Artworks Wales: 'Work was commissioned to provide a focus for the area known as 'The Cross' which marks the limit of the pedestrianised area in Caldicot town centre, and to record permanently the names of sixteen war dead. A celtic cross previously stood on this site and was used in 1741 by John Wesley to preach from. The artist's aim for his design was "to make a contemporary piece of sculpture within a long-established tradition of markers and focal points in the Welsh landscape." The work was funded by the Welsh Development Agency and Monmouth Borough Council. The slate was sponsored by Greaves Welsh Slate Co. Ltd., Blaenau Ffestiniog. The work won the SWALEC best lighting heritage award.
Names of war dead incised around edge of upper step
PMSA recording information