Allegories of medicine, law and agriculture
Three architectural reliefs representing (probably) medicine, law and agriculture.
The foundation stone for the Temple of Peace and Health was laid by Lord Halifax, the Lord Privy Seal, in April 1937 with the official opening on 23 November 1938. The cost was £72,000, Lord Davies of Llandinam providing £60,000, with £12,000 coming from the King Edward VII Welsh National Memorial Association. Cardiff City Council provided the land. Most of the building was occupied by the King Edward VII Welsh National Memorial Association, an organization founded by Lord Davies shortly after the death of King Edward in 1912, with the objective of eliminating tuberculosis in Wales. The remainder of the building was occupied by the League of Nations Union, with which Lord Davies was also closely associated. The building is now occupied by the Welsh Centre for International Affairs. The Crypt beneath the Main Hall is consecrated and houses the Welsh National Book of Remembrance for the Great War. The building had been opened in 1938 by Mrs. Minnie James from Dowlais representing the war-bereaved mothers of Wales. She had lost three sons in the Great War.
PMSA recording information