'In the Balance'
Standing bronze female figure of Equity in classical robes and headdress holding a balance. The rod is held with both hands slightly away from the upper body. Newspaper report of the opening of the bank describes the figure as a 'symbol of Equity, holding a balance, indicative of the function of a bank. The actual forms of the balance and the bowl are taken from ancient Greek examples, and the Mercury head, also derived from the same source, was used as a standard of weight.'
The bank was built in 1926-27 by F.C.R. Palmer and W.F.C. Holden, National Provincial Bank of England architects. The contractors were E. Turner & Sons. Since 1874 the bank's Cardiff Docks branch had been in Dock Chambers and the bank was the last major commercial development in Butetown. The building is listed grade II*. At the time of inspection it was no longer owned by the National Westminster Bank who have moved to new premises in Cardiff Bay.
PMSA recording information