Edward Lhuyd Memorial
Bronze bust of Edward Lhuyd on limestone plinth. The basic design of the bust was based on the sole surviving portrait of Lhuyd from the Donation book of the Old Ashmolean Museum.
It was felt that a memorial in his native land was long overdue to Edward Lhuyd, the most eminent Welsh and Celtic scholar of his day, hence the commission from Canolfan Uwchefrydiau Cymreig a Cheltaidd/Centre for Advanced Welsh and Celtic Studies.
Edward Lhuyd (1660 - 1709) was the son of Bridget Pryse of Glanffraid, north Ceredigion. He was an eminent scientist, philologist and archaeologist. He was Keeper of the Ashmolean Museum in Oxford. He visited all the countries where Celtic languages were spoken and his volume, Archaeologia Britannica (1707) is a pioneering work in the history of comparative philology. He was the first great Welsh archaeologist and occupies an eminent place in the history of the field archaeology of pre-Roman Britain and the Celtic regions of Europe. He was elected a Fellow of the Royal Society in 1708.
Incised on front of plinth: EDWARD / LHUYD / 1660 - 1709 / IEITHYDD / HYNAFIAETHYDD / NATURIAETHWR
PMSA recording information
Sorry, we have no precise geographical information for this item.