National Recording Project

  ..

Detail from: Memorial to 158 Squadron by Peter W. Naylor, 2009

Ammerdown Memorial

Summary

Type Shaft

     Shaft with curved sides leading to a bubble (now badly storm damaged). The plinth is square with scooped corners holding narrow oval windows. Round windows on each side of the plinth. The entrance door is now secured by a huge rusting steel sheet. All the windows are barred to deter vandals.Alow iron fence surrounds the monument, the base hard to reach for biological infestation.
     Four mythelogical figure originally stood at the four corners of the column but were taken away by Lutyens and placed in Lord Hylton's private yew garden. The design of the column was inspired by the Eddystone Lighthouse. The column is now only open to restricted viewing. It can be seen from a distance but due to the trepidations of vandals the structure is now rather unsafe and in very poor condition. It makes for a very sad sight.
     Thomas Samuel Joliffe was a wealthy landowner and an MP when he dies aged 78 in 1924. His bachelor son, John, inherited the estate and in 1853 commissioned Joplin, a civil engineer and architect to built the monument. He chose an elevated part of the estate making the glass-topped dome 700 feet above sea level. John Joliffe died one year later and his younger brother the 73-year-old Rev Thomas Robert Joliffe, completed the column.

Inscriptions

THIS PILLAR IS ERECTED TO COMMEMORATE THE GENIUS, ENERGY AND ACCOMPLISHMENTS OF THOMAS SAMUEL JOLIFFE, LORD OF THE ADJACENT HUNDREDS OF KILMERSDON AND WELLOW, IN EVERY RELATION OF LIFE, IN THE SENATE AND ON THE SEAT OF JUSTICE, IN EXERCISING THE PECULIAR RIGHTS AND DISCHARGING THE VARIOUS DUTIES OF AN EXTENSIVE LANDHOLDER, CONCILIATED THE REGARD AND ESTEEM OF AN AfFLUENT AND INTELLIGENT DISTRICT. TO HIM WHO RECLAIMED THE SURROUNDING LANDS FROM THEIR ORIGINAL AND STERILE CONDITION, WHO CLOTHED THEM WITH FERTILITY AND VERDURE AND EMBELLISHED THEM WITH TASTEFUL AND ORNAMENTAL DECORATIONS, HIS DESCENDANTS, WITH FEELINGS OF PROFOUND AND GRATEFUL AFFECTION, DEDICATE THIS COLUMN. AMMERDOWN PARK VI JUNE MDCCCVIII (Two other versions of this text in French and Latin appear on other sides of the column).

Contributor details

Contributor Role
Jopling, Joseph Architect

Element details

Part of work Material Dimensions
Column Cement covered stone 3300h
Bubble Destroyed None

PMSA recording information

Reference Region
SO24 LM
General condition Poor
Surface condition
  • Corrosion, Deterioration
  • Abrasions, cracks, splits
Structural condition
  • Cracks, splits, breaks, holes
  • Loose elements
Vandalism
  • Surface damage
Road A362 Radstock/Frome road
Precise location Turn right at Buckland Down, take path besides Buckland House to Monument
A-Z ref None
OS ref ST719521
Date of design 1853
Year of unveiling c1853
Unveiling details c1853
Commissioned by Family of Thomas Samuel Joliffe
Duty of care Lord Hylton
Listing status Don't know
At risk? Not at risk

‹‹ Back to search results