All Greatness Stands Firm in the Storm
The piers were built in 1878 as part of the first Caledonian Railway Bridge, erected by the Caledonian Railway Company. The piers are made of Dalbeattie granite founded on cast iron cylinders sunk into the river bed. They supported the bridge deck, which carried four tracks and was of wrought iron construction. The tracks and girders were removed in 1966-7 (2)
The English translation is a rewording, after Heidegger, of a line from the sixth book of Plato's 'Republic'. It has been suggested thst a more accurate translation of the Greek would be 'all great things are precarious'
On the east side of each pier: ALL GREATNESS / STANDS FIRM IN / THE STORM
The above is also inscribed in Greek, on the north pier below the English inscription, on the south pier above the English
PMSA recording information
Sorry, we have no precise geographical information for this item.