Monument to James White of Overtoun
Standing portrait statue of James White of Overtoun, in contemporary costume, holding a pen and papers in his hands, on a grey granite pedestal
The monument was designed by John Mossman and completed by his assistant Francis Leslie after Mossman's death in 1890. The monument was relocated to within a few yards of its original site during area improvements c.1993. The monument was listed category B on 22 December 1992
James White of Overtoun (1812-1884) was born near Glasgow and educated at the city's Grammar school and at Glasgow University where he studied law. He practiced as a solicitor and was a partner for 17 years in the firm of Couper and White. At the age of 40 he left to become a partner in his family's firm of manufacturing chemists J.& J.White. During this time he was President of the (Glasgow) Chamber of Commerce, Director, and then later Deputy Chairman of the Glasgow and South Western Railway Company, and a member of the committee appointed in 1866 to investigate and rearrange the affairs of the North British Railway. He was also Chairman of the National Bible Society of Scotland, and of the Glasgow Deaf and Dumb Institution
Incised on pedestal, west face: JAMES WHITE / OF OVERTOUN / 1812-1884
Incised on pedestal plinth, west face: ERECTED BY HIS FELLOW CITIZENS
PMSA recording information
Sorry, we have no precise geographical information for this item.