National Recording Project

  ..

Detail from: Memorial to 158 Squadron by Peter W. Naylor, 2009

Bank of Scotland Heraldic Group

Summary

     Arms of the Bank of Scotland comprising two seated, draped female figures supporting a shield crested with a cornucopia and surounded by a wreath of bound oak leaves. The sinister figure holds a cornucopia; the dexter a set of scales
     Erected as the Bank of Scotland Chambers, the building is now a public house. The west elevation (20 Renfield Street) is called Sterling House (as inscribed over the entrance)
    

Inscriptions

In incised Roman lettering on ribbon below shield: TANTO UBERIOR

Contributor details

Contributor Role
Balfour & Stewart, None Architect
Anon, None Sculptor

Element details

Part of work Material Dimensions
Sculpture Blond sandstone None
Scales Bronze None

PMSA recording information

Reference Region
AN/010 GW
General condition Good
Surface condition
  • Previous treatments
  • Other
Structural condition
  • None
Vandalism
  • None
Road St. Vincent Street
Precise location 93 St. Vincent Street, The Drum and Monkey, in pediment above entrance, former Bank of Scotland Chambers
A-Z ref 35 K15
OS ref None

Sorry, we have no precise geographical information for this item.

Date of design 1924-6
Year of unveiling c.1926
Unveiling details None
Commissioned by The Bank of Scotland
Duty of care None
Listing status II
At risk? Not at risk

‹‹ Back to search results