At attic level, west façade: a heraldic group comprising the Royal Arms supported by a lion and a unicorn, flanked by two draped, seated female figures symbolising 'Peace' and 'Plenty' (or 'Commerce'). These are flanked by ornamental urns. Below this, in the frieze, is a tiny bust of Queen Victoria. Above the ground floor windows and the main entrance are five male keystone heads representing the rivers Clyde, Thames, Severn, Tweed, and Humber. The segmental tympanum above the main entrance is filled with the Glasgow arms. Above the north entrance is a segmental shell tympanum with a lion's head
The building was erected as the National Bank of Scotland at 57 Queen Street in 1849. It was relocated to the north west corner of Queen's Park in 1901 by Glasgow Corporation, as the Langside Public Halls, and opened on 24 December 1903. Although the sculptor is acknowledged to be John Thomas it is uncertain as to whether he was both modeller and carver or whether his models were carved by someone else, as is suggested by 'The Illustrated London News': "the national arms, the colossal figures, the decorative vases, and the keystones to the windows, are in the best style of Mr. John Thomas; and the decorative parts of the architecture, generally, were executed from his models". (1)
PMSA recording information
Sorry, we have no precise geographical information for this item.