National Recording Project

  ..

Detail from: Memorial to 158 Squadron by Peter W. Naylor, 2009

Allegorical Figures of Law and Justice

Summary

     Two seated, draped, male and female figures with attributes; flanking a gable at the north end of the façade. The male figure represents the Law (scroll); the female figure Justice (sword and scales). The Arms of the City of Glasgow are below the figures above the arched window
     The building was erected as the Central Police Office and was the headquarter of the Glasgow police. It replaced their original headquarters in Albion Street which had become inadequate. The building cost £36,000; and was opened on 23 March 1906. (1)
    

Inscriptions

In incised Roman lettering on Coat of Arms: LET GLASGOW FLOURISH In intaglio numerals on datestone: 1904

Contributor details

Contributor Role
MacDonald, Alexander Beith Architect
Anon, None Sculptor
Glasgow Corporation City Engineers Department., None Architect

Element details

Part of work Material Dimensions
Scales Red Locharbriggs sandstone None
Chains (on scales) Bronze None
Sculpture Red Locharbrigg sandtone None

PMSA recording information

Reference Region
CE/053 GW
General condition Fair
Surface condition
  • Corrosion, Deterioration
  • Previous treatments
  • Corrosion, Deterioration
Structural condition
  • None
Vandalism
  • None
Road Turnbull Street
Precise location 54 Turnbull Street, at north end of façade, at attic level, former Central Police Office
A-Z ref 36 L17
OS ref None

Sorry, we have no precise geographical information for this item.

Date of design 1903-06
Year of unveiling c.1906
Unveiling details Opened 23 March 1906
Commissioned by Glasgow Corporation Police Department Committee
Duty of care Strathclyde Police (?)
Listing status Don't know
At risk? Not at risk

‹‹ Back to search results