Allegorical group representing 'Australia' comprising a standing, draped female holding a sheaf of wheat, beside a sheep and a seated, draped male representing a gold-digger
The Doulton Fountain comprises three stages featuring: four groups symbolising parts of the British Empire, four kneeling female figures, and four military figures representing the army and navy. The structure is crowned with a statue of Queen Victoria. Around the basins at ground level are four reliefs of the Glasgow coat of arms with half-length figures of St. Mungo rising above them. There are also lion mask water spouts and other decorative details on the upper structure. The fountain was commissioned as Doulton & co.'s exhibit in the International Exhibition held at Kelvingrove Park, in 1888. The designer was Arthur E. Pearce with the modelling of the various groups and details being supervised by William Silver Frith (who modelled the 'Canada' group, see CA011/4). The fountain was gifted to the city in 1890 and relocated to Glasgow Green in that year. (1) In the summer of 1894 the Queen Victoria figure was destroyed by lightning. This was replaced by Sir Henry Doulton at his own expense in 1895 after the Corporation had suggested replacing it with some other, cheaper, feature. The lightning conductor was affixed at this time. Since then it has been subjected to wholesale vandalism and neglect and is in a ruinous and derelict condition. The fountain is scheduled for restoration, c. 2000, and will be moved to a new location. Dismantling began on 30 July 1999 with the removal of the groups and figures to the council's store at Lochburn Road. The main structure and Queen Victoria will be dismantled in 2000. (2)
The group symbolises the British Dominion of Australia
In intaglio Roman lettering, on escutcheon below group: AUSTRALIA
In incised Roman lettering, at rear of group, on various parts (for original assembly matching) AUSTRALIA or AUS
PMSA recording information
Sorry, we have no precise geographical information for this item.