New Malden Roundabout Fountain and Lamp
Street light and fountain with 3 iron lamps hanging from a decorative iron framework at the top of a tall fluted column with a corinthian capital. Mounted on a rectangular base fitted with a lion's head on each side from which water is meant to pour from the spouts held in their mouths into a broad shallow circular basin. Larger basin below at ground level filled with water (rain). Fountain not working.
Replacement for the original (single) lamp and fountain intended for both man and animal erected in 1894 by the Band of Mercy which was destroyed in a traffic accident in 1932. A new traffic roundabout was built in 1955 and New Malden Rotary Club offered to donate a new fountain in 1977. Replacement was finally installed in 1982 after many delays by Adrian Marchant of New Malden and cost £4362.
PMSA recording information
Sorry, we have no precise geographical information for this item.