Series of stone relief decorations on the central bay of the main façade. RBK crest at the top with three fishes emblem in mosaic with stylised representation of the river, and 2 columns/ sheaths either side decorated with leaves and bindings. A further crest/trophy on a projecting shelf above the main doorway with an axe, sword and sceptre and a stylised garland and crown at the centre.
2 sculpted brackets supporting the central ledge, each decorated with a pair of horses heads and legs either side of the prow of a boat carrying flowers and fruits, and stylised water below.
A relief panel over the main arched window depicting a half length nude female figure with 3 fishes leaping infront of her, surmounted by a crown.
The Guildhall was designed by Maurice Webb (same architect as Bentalls store opened in the same year) and opened on 3rd July 1935 by Princess Alice, Countess of Athlone. Webb commissioned Walter and Donald Gilbert to carved the sculptural features.
Coat of Arms that of the Royal Borough of Kingston. Identity of the female figure and significance of the horses not known.
PMSA recording information
Sorry, we have no precise geographical information for this item.