National Recording Project

  ..

Detail from: Memorial to 158 Squadron by Peter W. Naylor, 2009

ASHURST BEACON

Summary

Type Building

     Stone beacon marker. Square base rising to pyramidal stone spire surmounted by weathervane.
     Ashurst Hill takes its name from a 17th century family who owned the site, one of whom became High Sheriff of Lancashire. It was the site of an ancient beacon, but the present structure probably dates from the late 18th century. The land including the beacon was acquired by Thomas Meadows, editor of the Wigan Observer, during the 1920s.(1) He restored the structure twice at his own expense.(2) The beacon and the surrounding 17 acres were donated to Wigan Corporation in December 1962 by his widow Florence. Mr Meadows had, she said, always intended to hand over the land on condition that it remained a public park and was not built upon. At the time of the donation the Corporation promised not to use the site for slum clearance or as part of the proposed new town of Skelmersdale. A plaque commemorating the donation was added in 1966, shortly after the death of Mrs Meadows.(3)
    

Inscriptions

Plaque: Presented to the Corporation of Wigan on 12 December, 1962, by Mrs. Sophia Florence Meadows, in memory of her husband, Thomas Meadows, journalist (1877-1956), whose desire it was that this land should remain for ever a beauty spot for the enjoyment of the people of Wigan.

Contributor details

Contributor Role
Unknown, None Builder

Element details

Part of work Material Dimensions
Main structure Stone None

PMSA recording information

Reference Region
MR/WIG03 MR
General condition Fair
Surface condition
Structural condition
Vandalism
  • Graffiti
Road None
Precise location None
A-Z ref None
OS ref None

Sorry, we have no precise geographical information for this item.

Date of design None
Year of unveiling c.1800
Unveiling details None
Commissioned by None
Duty of care Wigan Metro
Listing status II
At risk? No known risk

‹‹ Back to search results