ASHTON LANE FOUNTAIN
Type Fountain , Shaft
Fountain/horse trough. Two troughs at either side rising to stone shaft. Capital surmounted by cast iron lamp standard.
The fountain was donated by local MP Sir William Cunliff Brooks, who also donated the funds for the tower of St. Martin's church, the land for the church of St. Mary Magdalene and the Brooks Institute. In 1964, and again in 1966 it was suggested that the fountain be removed to one of the parks as it was thought to be a traffic hazard. However, it was argued that the fountain, although "not exactly a thing of beauty, being too squat in its proportions," should be saved, as it was "one of Sale's few remaining monuments to yesteryear."(2) The proposal to resite the fountain in Ashton Park raised a storm of protest, particularly because it required the demolition of two mature beech trees.(3)
Sir William Cunliffe Brooks (1819-1900), banker and politician, was born at Blackburn, the son of Manchester banker Samuel Brooks and his wife Margaret. He was educated at Rugby and St. John's College, Cambridge. He was called to the Bar in 1847 and worked on the Northern circuit. On the death of his grandfather he entered the family bank. He was Conservative MP for East Cheshire from 1869-1885, and was returned for Altrincham in 1886. He gave several gifts to Sale, including the site for St. Mary's Church, the tower of St. Martin's Church, and made substantial donations to the Free Library.(1)
PMSA recording information