ASHTON MARKET CROSS (COPY)
Copy of original market cross. Base of cross topped with ball finial.
The first reference to Ashton market cross comes from local marriage registers of 1854.(1) The ancient cross was replaced in 1763 or 1764 by an oak shaft on a stone base and steps, surmounted by sphere and crown. This probably stood slightly to the south of the site of the old cross. About 1798 a stone cross was erected in its place, the remains of which can now be seen in Stamford Park. The last cross was removed in 1829.(2)
On plaque on front: REPLICA OF/ THE OLD CROSS/ERECTED 1723/IN ST. MICHAEL'S SQUARE/THE ORIGINAL OF WHICH/IS SITED IN STAMFORD PARK/
Related works : Plaque in middle of Old Street (set into tarmac in middle of road) with inscription SITE/OF/OLD CROSS
PMSA recording information