CHADDERTON WAR MEMORIAL
Granite obelisk approached by three steps; on a bow-fronted projection at the front stands the bronze figure of an ordinary soldier, alert and watchful, holding a rifle in right hand. The slightly larger than life-size figure stands on a short plinth representing rough ground.
Chadderton War Memorial Committee recognised the importance of a public memorial whilst acknowledging the need for a more practical tribute. Following discussions, this took the form of establishing scholarships to assist the children whose fathers had been killed in the war. The secretary of the War Memorial Committee was J. Arnold Brierley. The site selected was in front of the Town Hall was the most prominent one available in the town. The Oldham architects, Taylor and Simister were responsible for designing the memorial, the focus of which was the figure of a soldier. The statue was the work of Albert Toft, who had also been commissioned to design the main Oldham war memorial. The memorial was completed by the autumn of 1921. It was unveiled by Councillor Ernest Kempsey in a ceremony marked by prayers and hymns, speeches and the laying of wreaths. Long lines of local inhabitants waited respectfully to view the memorial. Kirkpatrick's of Manchester were the contractors. The final cost was £2,000.
War memorial for Chadderton
Inscription on front of obelisk: IN HONOUR OF THE MEN OF CHADDERTON / WHO MADE THE SUPREME SACRIFICE / AND IN GRATEFUL REMEMBRANCE OF / ALL WHO SERVED THEIR COUNTRY / IN THE WARS OF / 1914-1919 / AND / 1939-1945]
PMSA recording information
Sorry, we have no precise geographical information for this item.