The school was the inspiration of Bishop Nicholas Stratford. In October 1700, he enlisted the aid of a number of leading citizens and called a meeting at his palace. It was resolved to establish a Bluecoat School for 36 boarders and 70 day pupils. The school was based on religion, the bible and prayer. The boys were to be boarded, lodged and clothed. Three hundred pounds was raised by subscription and the buildings were erected on ground belonging to the Hospital of St. John the Baptist. It was agreed that a nominal yearly rent should be paid by the school's governors to the trustees of the hospital. It was also laid down by the school that pupils should attend the Cathedral every Sunday morning and one of the city parishes every Sunday afternoon. In 1900 the Bluecoat Institution was reduced in number when the day boys started to be sent off to other schools. Today the buildings are part of Chester City Council.
Statue represents one of the boys who attended the bluecoat school.
PMSA recording information
Sorry, we have no precise geographical information for this item.