Formby War Memorial
Type Cross , War Memorial
'The memorial is made of the finest selected silver grey Cornish Granite. The wheel portion of the cross is fine axed and interlaced with runic carving which forms the Cross of St. George in the centre. The shaft is rustic with fine axes margins on four sides. The massive die is fine axed and is surrounded on all four sides with a neat mould: below the mould on three sides are the inscribed names of the fallen .. On either side of the die, crossed arms entwined with a laurel wreath .. Add to the appearance of the memorial. The whole of the letters, arms and wreaths are deeply cut, drilled and inlaid with lead , and pencilled .. The base immediately under the die is fine axed, the sub-base and lower guide are rustic with fine axed margins are four sides.'(1)
No minute references to the erection of this monument have been traced and all the information has been taken from a newspaper article reporting the unveiling ceremony. The monument was paid for by public subscription, which raised £473.19.11d from 132 subscribers. The sum included a grant of £8.17.0d from the honours fund. The memorial was erected on a plot of land (1,210 sq. yards) donated to the town by C. J. Weld-Blundell and was unveiled on the 12th November 1922 by Lieutenant Colonel John Formby, D. L., J. P..
To the Glory of God and in grateful memory of those who gave up their lives in the Great War, 1914-1918. (Trajan Column lettering)
Pro Regio et Patria
Erected by Public Subscription
Unveiled by Lieut. Colonel John Formby D.L.J.P. O.B.E. Sunday November 12th 1922
PMSA recording information
Sorry, we have no precise geographical information for this item.