National Recording Project

  ..

Detail from: Memorial to 158 Squadron by Peter W. Naylor, 2009

Art and Science with Bootle Arms

Summary

Type Coat of Arms , Sculpture

     Two female figures, seated over a roundel framing coat of arms. Right figure (Art) holds an artist's palette, the left (Science) holds a pair of dividers to a book. Both figures are cloaked, wearing flowing dresses to their feet. A stylised pilaster rises behind them, topped with scrolling. Arms are three crowns over chevroned shield, with three fleur de lys and three stag's heads. Situated at the top of the building over the main entrance.
     The building foundation stone was laid on 4 November 1885. It was opened on 22 June 1887.
    

Contributor details

Contributor Role
Johnson of London, John Architect

Element details

Part of work Material Dimensions

PMSA recording information

Reference Region
MSST0011 LL
General condition Fair
Surface condition
  • Other
Structural condition
Vandalism
Road Oriel Road
Precise location None
A-Z ref None
OS ref None

Sorry, we have no precise geographical information for this item.

Date of design 4th November 1885 to 22nd June 1887.
Year of unveiling None
Unveiling details None
Commissioned by None
Duty of care None
Listing status II
At risk? Not at risk

‹‹ Back to search results