Type Cross , Marker , Marker
All that remains of the cross now, is the base, a collection of stones stacked in a pyramid.
Stands as a reminder of the days when in 1365, Friar Richard de Aputon of the Warrington Friar was ordained sub-deacon of Colwich. It is though to be the only original cross in Cheshire.
The cross was re-sited in 1973 to the junction of Stretton Road and Cann Lane. The work was supervised by the then director of the Warrington Museum, J. R. Rimmer.
The operation led to the discovery of a small coin underneath the piece. It is about the size of a Farthing and wafer thin because of corrosion. The British Museum identified it as a Venetian Soldino of Antonio Vernier (1382-1400), and was first brought to the country in an Italian galley-fleet arriving in June 1400 to purchase wool and cloth. Because the coin had such a limited period of circulation, it allowed the dating of the cross to an unusually specific extreme.
Using the coin to date the piece to the Fifteenth Century ties up speculation that it was a wayside or 'Weeping Cross' used as a resting place for funeral processions on their way to the nearest church or chapel of rest. The siting of this cross is convenient as a stopping place between Appleton Thorn and the Chapel of Rest at Stretton (the site of the present Stretton Church).
The actual cross, long gone, would have been of wooden construction and possibly painted. It is likely that it was destroyed by the Puritans in the 17th Century, a common story throughout the country, where these hollowed out socket holes are found.
The level of the road had been raised so much that the Cross was virtually buried apart from the top socket stone and it had been severely disturbed by roots from a sycamore tree which is under a preservation order.
PMSA recording information
Sorry, we have no precise geographical information for this item.