Symmetrical four-sided drinking fountain with projecting drinking bowls to each side. Water originally discharged through carved heads over each bowl. There are four upper bowls and four lower fountains for dogs. The is a gable roof above each bowl, the face being decorated with faces of putti in scrolling. The entire piece stands on a hexagonal three tier base. It was originally fitted with a cast iron lamp standard.
The history of this monument is obscure. Charles Hill is known only as a merchant with Liverpool offices. Charles Hill was a cotton broker of the firm Hill and Sons in Rumford Place, Liverpool. He lived at 'The Oaklands' in Townfield Lane, Bebington. He died in May 1879.
The fountain originally stood in the middle of the road in approximately the present position. It was moved to nearby Mayer Park in 1905, and re-erected in present position in January 1997.
On the each of the faces is the following, in an anti-clockwise fashion:THE GIFT OF/CHARLES HILL Esq./OF THE OAKLANDS/AD MDCCCLXIII
PMSA recording information
Sorry, we have no precise geographical information for this item.