Birkenhead Coat of Arms
Type Coat of Arms
Putti seated symmetrically drape a garland across their legs, the right arm raised, resting on the side of 'cartouche' containing the coat of arms of Birkenhead.
The Town Hall was opened in 1887. Originally, it housed all of the Corporations departments, but the expansion of the borough made it necessary to remove many of the departments to other buildings. It was built between 1883 & 1887, by C.O. Ellison & Son. The building was restored after a fire in 1901 by Henry Hartley. Masonry & brickwork by Alderman Ledlie of Bootle. Opening on 10 February 1887 by John Laird. Architect was chosen by Charles Barry F.S.A of London. Col. C.O. Elison's design chosen from 138 entries. The cost was £43,000.
PMSA recording information