Anderton Mining Monument
Miner and shearer loader machine.
Head, hands and upper body of miner emerge out of cutting drum. The hands are holding a piece of coal.
Four blades of cutting drum (part of shearer loader machine) are represented.
Commissioned by Lord Robens (date?)
First erected in 1965 by the North West Division of the National Coal Board at Anderton House in Lowton, Lancashire.
Marked the invention of the Anderton Shearer cutter/loader which was first used in St Helens. In 1989 it was moved to Eastwood Hall in Nottingham and was then installed in its current position in December 1998.
Installation costs were funded by the Southern Corridor Single Regeneration Budget (SRB) which is managed by the Ravenhead Renaissance Partnership.On behalf of the Ravenhead Renaissance Partnership, the Groundwork Trust submitted the planning application to St Helens Borough Council.
1) James Anderton, inventor of the Anderton shearer and loader machine
2) Shearer-loader (Used in coalmines worldwide, the first shearer-loader was installed at the Ravenhead Colliery's Rushy Park seam in 1952, then used at Cronton Colliery, St Helens, and Golborne Colliery, Leigh.
3) Mining community (represented in the body of the miner)
PMSA recording information
Sorry, we have no precise geographical information for this item.