The Thomas White (d.1566) Memorial
A standing male figure on a simple plinth which is surrounded by ornate iron railings. Sir Thomas White is depicted in mid-sixteenth century costume with a chain of office around his neck.
On a separate brick plinth in front of the work is a glass box containing an open Bible with Matthew XXII 21 highlighted in pink. This pedestal has a city trail plaque on it.
The memorial committee was set up in 1878, their first plans were for a grand scheme, which would have consisted of the Coventry Cross combined with statues of several benefactors of the city including Sir Thomas White and emblems of the city's industries. The cost of such a grand scheme proved prohibitive, and was scaled down to the solitary statue of White which cost £600. (1)
The Wills brothers stated in their estimate that they would 'spare no pains in studying a good and pleasing likeness and the correct costume of the period' (2).
The maquette for this work was illustrated in the Art Journal and the Illustrated London News in 1883.
Sir Thomas White (d.1566) was a benefactor of Coventry, and several other towns and cities of England. He was the founder of St John's College, Oxford, and served as Lord Mayor of London in 1555.
On front face of plinth, engraved: 'SIR THOMAS WHITE'
On rear face of plinth, engraved: '1883'
PMSA recording information