Two oval medallions, one of King George V and one of Queen Mary, either side of a central inscribed panel. Both figures are shown in profile, facing in towards one another - George V on the left, Queen Mary on the right.
These medallions were commissioned to commemorate the mayoralty of Godfrey Benson and the accession of George V. The sculptors entrusted with the task of carving them were G. Lowther and F. Thomas of Bridgemans and Sons.
(on façade below portrait busts) THESE PORTRAITS ERECTED OVER THE SPOT WHERE H.M. GEORGE V WAS PROCLAIMED KING WERE GIVEN IN THE MAYORALTY OF GODFREY BENSON BY HIS WIFE 1910.
(on plaque between portrait busts) THIS GUILDHALL stands on the site used for the Guild, or Fraternity,/of Citizens established in 1387 by RICHARD II, which Guild continued for/161 years under 9 Monarchs, and was finally dissolved under EDWARD VI, in/1548./The present building was erected in 1846, by the Trustees of the/LICHFIELD CONDUIT LANDS, to whom the ancient Guild, in the year 1545,/ gave valuable properties out of their possessions to supply the citizens with/water, and for their common weal./Her late Most Gracious Majesty, QUEEN VICTORIA, visited this City in 1832,/and again in 1843./In 1894, His Majesty, KING EDWARD VII, (as Prince of Wales), was received here/on the Occasion of the Centenary of the Queen's Own Royal Staffordshire/Yeomanry Cavalry.
PMSA recording information