Free standing portico with four pillars with Ionic capitals supporting a flat slab.
At the time it was set up, the Portico was criticised because it was considered out of keeping with the buildings nearby and with the entrance to what had once been the medieval Friary (which had been exposed by excavations during 1933). It came from Shenstone Court, home of Sir Richard Powell Cooper, who donated the Friary to the city during his lifetime. The Court was demolished in 1935, when the portico was purchased by the City Council.
|Part of work||Material||Dimensions|
|portico columns and steps||stone||6m high x 4.78m wide x 3.08m deep|
|roof and entablature||wood||None|
PMSA recording information
|Precise location||The Friary Garden, near the junction of the Friary and Bird Street|
|A-Z ref||100 A2|
Sorry, we have no precise geographical information for this item.
|Date of design||None|
|Year of unveiling||1937|
|Commissioned by||Purchased by Lichfield City Council|
|Duty of care||Lichfield City Council|
|Listing status||Not listed|
|At risk?||Not at risk|