The mosaic mural occupies the centre wall of the main foyer of the theatre and the equivalent wall on the first floor. It is an abstract mosaic composed of glass and ceramic tesserae from Sweden and Italy.
The abstract mosaic occupies two separate areas on the centre wall of the main foyer at ground level. It has been covered over the screening the wall on the first floor.(2)
The mosaic was jointly commissioned by the city and the Arts Council under the conditions of the artist-architect collaboration scheme. Coventry was one of the first cities involved in the scheme that was established in 1953 by the Arts Council to encourage collaboration between artists and architects of new public buildings, from the planning stage. The Arts Council was to meet part of the cost of approved projects.
Coventry accepted the Arts Council's nomination of Martin Froy for the Belgrade project, although at this stage the actual form of the work had not been decided. In 1954 an agreement was signed between the city and the artist with Froy as 'Artist Consultant to the City Architect'. Froy was to have the freedom of choosing the form that the work would take but he was to submit it to the Architect for approval before starting. In 1957 Froy changed his design from his original concept of a painted mural to a more sculptural mosaic, the additional cost being met by an Arts Council grant. The work was eventually finished in 1959 at a total cost of £2316 13s 10d.(1)
PMSA recording information