Type Coat of Arms , Panel , Statue
Lord Burton is depicted standing in his baronet's coronation robes, over the uniform of the Burton Battalion of the Staffordshire Rifle Volunteers, of which he was colonel. On each side of the pedestal, there are two similar coats of arms. Both shields have lion supporters with stags' heads at their feet, referring to the forests of the County of Staffordshire. They both have crests of a crown with a lion rising from it bearing a small shield with a fleur-de-lys. The lion has three dots upon its flank arranged in a triangular pattern. One shield bears a chevron with a lion upon it and three fleur-de-lys. The second shield is divided into two, one half bearing the chevron, lion, and fleur-de-lys of the first shield, the other half bearing a thistle and three billets.
Pomeroy never met Baron Burton, and created the statue from images in oil paintings and photographs. The siting of the statue was decided upon after a mock-up made by C.S. Spooner had been placed in several possible sites around Burton. The bronze was then cast in the foundry of Messrs Singer and Sons, Frome, Somerset.
The statue was unveiled by the Earl of Dartmouth.
Michael Arthur Bass, the 1st Baron Burton (1837-1909) was born in Burton-upon-Trent, and entered the family brewing business founded by his great grandfather, William Bass, in 1777. Made a baron in 1886, Michael Bass was a great benefactor of Burton-upon-Trent gifting the Town Hall, the churches of St Patrick's and St Margaret, and several clubs to the City.
On front of pedestal: MICHAEL ARTHUR,/ FIRST BARON/ BORN 1837/ DIED 1908
On rear of pedestal: ERECTED BY UPWARDS/ OF 6OO0 OF HIS FRIENDS/ AND FELLOW TOWNSMEN/ IN REMEMBRANCE OF ONE/ WHOSE LIFE WAS DEVOTED/ TO THE GOOD OF OTHERS
PMSA recording information