Statue of Colin Minton Campbell (1827-1885)
The statue depicts Campbell in contemporary clothing, his left hand in his pocket. His right hand holds a scroll and rests on a bronze reproduction of one of his company's products. On top of the tall pedestal with a stork motif is a small decorative bowl with handles. The statue has been refurbished by Sainsburys and resited in a more prominent position on the London Road. In addition, a new pedestal has been made for it, with the same inscription but higher than the original one.
Unveiled by the Duchess of Sutherland, the statue stood at the northern end of Campbell Place until the 1930s, when it was moved to Kingsway and from there to a site outside the Minton Factory (1976-2002).(1) Doultons planned to gift the statue to the City Council, but it was taken over by Sainsburys when they bought the site in 2002. They resited the statue in a more prominent position on the London Road, refurbishing it and providing a new plinth.(2)
Colin Minton Campbell (1827-1885) was the grandson of Thomas Minton (1765-1836), founder of the famous fine bone china company in Stoke-on-Trent in 1789. In addition to the public offices he held that are mentioned in the inscription, he was chairman of the North Staffordshire Railway Company from 1873 until 1883.
On sides of pedestal, incised: COLIN MINTON CAMPBELL/ BORN AUGUST 27TH 1827/ DIED FEBRUARY 8TH 1885// HIGH SHERIFF 1869/ MEMBER OF PARLIAMENT/ FOR NORTH STAFFORDSHIRE 1874 TO 1880/ THRICE MAYOR OF STOKE 1880-1883// UNVEILED BY HER GRACE THE/ DUCHESS OF SUTHERLAND,/ ON THE 1ST OF JANUARY 1887./ IN THE THIRD YEAR OF THE MAYORALTY OF/ ALDERMAN LEASON.// A SUCCESSFUL MANUFACTURER,/ A LEADING TOWNSMAN,/ AND A GENEROUS FRIEND.
PMSA recording information