Type Other , Street Furniture
The relief features an oak tree whose trunk stretches up between the two leaded windows, the foliage has been 'flattened' to fill the window niche. The trunk is painted pale blue and the foliage is green with pale blue acorns. The style bears resemblance to George Frampton's detail of carved relief decoration on his Dusseldorf fireplace of 1895-96, the source of which was Edward Burne-Jones' design for the Tree of Life mosaic of 1888. The lettering for the public house is placed over the foliage. The sign in front of the building is carved in the round and depicts a man and woman in early nineteenth century costume standing beneath and oak tree with gold acorns. This wooden sculpture is placed on top of a stone post.
The Court Oak Public House was designed by G. B. Cox, who also designed the oak tree sign in front of the building and the carved sign above the front entrance. (1) In the original plans of the 1930 the front façade was to be timbered, and no sculpture was allowed for. (2) These were revised in 1931, and the new plans show the Tudor double window incorporating the relief oak tree sign of the final design.
PMSA recording information
Sorry, we have no precise geographical information for this item.