Angel and Draped Figure Panels from Water Orton Bridge
The bridge featured two carved stones: one is a corbel supported by an angel, the other part of a draped image. One panel shows an angel supported on a corbel, it is believed that this is a representation of the Archangel Gabriel and that it would have originally had a companion piece depicting the Virgin thus making an Annunciation scene. The draped figure has not been identified.
Until 1926 these two carved stone panels were incorporated in the bridge at Water Orton. It is believed that these panels, and many of the other stones came from the demolished chapel of St. Blasie at Sutton Coldfield Manor House.(1)
It is recorded on Bishop Vesey's tomb in Sutton Coldfield Church that the bridge had been built by him as was the bridge at Curdworth, which is no longer extant. Bishop Vesey was responsible for the demolition of the Chapel, as it is likely that he followed the established tradition of reusing masonry. In the nineteenth century a number of other carvings were recorded as being on the bridge, it was also recorded however that they were badly weathered and suffered from their use as targets for local boys throwing stones.(2) In 1926 these two remaining stone panels were moved to the Church at Curdworth.
PMSA recording information