National Recording Project

  ..

Detail from: Memorial to 158 Squadron by Peter W. Naylor, 2009

Aesculapius

Summary

Type Other

     Decorating the portico to this plain building designed in 1930 by F.J. Osbourne, (1) this panel shows Aesculapius, the Greco-Roman god of medicine, bearded and seemingly winged, holding a caduceus, which is commonly confused with his proper attribute, a staff. He also holds a bowl from which a serpent drinks, which is more properly the attribute of Hygeia, the goddess of health who was believed to be Aesculapius's daughter and then later his wife. Earlier than Bloye's relief of Aesculapius on the Medical School, Vincent Drive, this panel is more simple representation carved in bold relief. Stylistically attributed to Bloye, (2) the details are clear and characteristically expressive, the deportment of hands and the overlapping layers of wings and robe are well carved, as is the name of the clinic below.
         

Contributor details

Contributor Role
Bloye, William James Sculptor

Element details

Part of work Material Dimensions
Relief Stone 75cm h x 2.2m w

PMSA recording information

Reference Region
WMbiBIxx027 BM
General condition Good
Surface condition
  • No damage
Structural condition
  • Broken, missing parts
Vandalism
  • None
Road Great Charles Street
Precise location Birmingham Chest Clinic, over the entrance
A-Z ref None
OS ref None

Sorry, we have no precise geographical information for this item.

Date of design None
Year of unveiling c.1931
Unveiling details None
Commissioned by None
Duty of care None
Listing status Not listed
At risk? Not at risk

‹‹ Back to search results