Four steps lead to a square sectioned monument with an inscribed plaque on the east side. The monument is topped with a flat capstone (slightly raised in the centre to deflect rain).
William, 2nd Lord Bagot, took an active interest in archaeology and ancient and medieval history as a Fellow of the Society of Antiquaries. He was especially interested in the history of his own family, who had held lands in Staffordshire since the Norman Conquest. His decision to erect a memorial on the site of the family's medieval manor house two miles away from Blithfield developed out of this interest. He was also the author of the Memorials of the Bagot Family, printed privately at Blithfield in 1823.
The obelisk marks what was once the site of the Bagot family's medieval manor house. The inscription (no longer legible) detailed Ralph Bagot's departure to nearby Blithfield in 1360 upon his marriage to Elizabeth, heiress of Richard de Blithfield.
There was an inscription on an inset tablet (50cm x 60cm), but this is no longer legible.
PMSA recording information