Statue of Sir Robert Peel (1788-1850)
The statue shows Peel in contemporary clothing with a floor length great cloak. He holds a coiled scroll in his left hand and rests his right hand lightly upon his hip. His left foot is forward, the toes of his boot extending over the edge of the bronze plinth. His head is turned in the direction of his newly built home, Drayton Manor.
The statue was unveiled by Mr Frederick Peel, son of Sir Robert. He congratulated the sculptor on the production of 'an admirable work, whether in the general outline, in the correctness of the proportions, in the resemblance of the features, and in the ease and gracefulness of the posture.(1)
Sir Robert Peel, 2nd Baronet (1788-1850) was MP for Tamworth 1830-1850 and Prime Minister 1841-1846. This was one of many statues of Peel commissioned throughout England after his death.
Inscribed on the front of the pedestal: THE/ RIGHT HONORABLE/ SIR ROBERT PEEL, BART/ BORN FEB.Y 6TH 1788/ ELECTED IN THE YEAR 1830/ MEMBER OF PARLIAMENT FOR/TAMWORTH/ WHICH TOWN HE CONTINUED/ TO REPRESENT UNTIL HIS DEATH/ JULY 2ND 1850
PMSA recording information