National Recording Project

  ..

Detail from: Memorial to 158 Squadron by Peter W. Naylor, 2009

Allegories of Methodist Teaching

Summary

Type Panel

     These two reliefs of compact design, fitting into the architectural scheme, the large figure on the left holds a lyre and that on the right, a book. Each is accompanied by two attentive, naked and cherubic children.
     The terracotta for this building, designed by the architects E & J Harper, was supplied by Gibbs and Canning, it is also possible that the modelling was the work of their chief modeller, John Evans.
     These two reliefs of terracotta groups show allegories of teaching, an important function of the Methodist Church and its Schools.

Contributor details

Contributor Role
Gibbs and Canning, None Sculptor
Harper, E & J Architect

Element details

Part of work Material Dimensions
Reliefs Terracotta, red 1.3m high

PMSA recording information

Reference Region
WMbiBIxx114 BM
General condition Fair
Surface condition
  • Corrosion, Deterioration
Structural condition
  • None
Vandalism
  • None
Road Corporation Street
Precise location Methodist Central Hall, over the entrance
A-Z ref None
OS ref None

Sorry, we have no precise geographical information for this item.

Date of design None
Year of unveiling c.1900-03
Unveiling details None
Commissioned by None
Duty of care Methodist Central Hall
Listing status II*
At risk? Not at risk

‹‹ Back to search results