This was part of an architectural improvement programme to enhance the entrance to the town. The various elements of this piece of town landscaping include a set of curvilinear steps, a red sandstone wall with a flowing sculptural line, and a network of pathways that instil a sense of the Mediterranean. A tablet above a bricked up archway, whose purpose is undocumented, commemorates the designer of the architecture.
As the tablet records, this scheme was commissioned to improve the appearance of the approach to the town, and also provided work for the unemployed in the area.
On stone tablet, in capitals: Halesowen Rural District Council/ 1909/ This tablet is erected/ to the memory of the late surveyor/ Mr. William Whitworth/ who designed this improvement which was carried/ out by the Council during the depression of trade/ to assist the unemployed and to beautify the/ approach to the town./
Members of the Council/
Frank Hipkiss (Chairman)/ Emma M. Finney George Hadley/ John Bloomer Thomas Hodgetts/ Fred E. Cutler Benjamin Masland/ John B. Downing George B. Parkes/ William Green Benjamin Southhall/ E. H. Grove (Clerk) F. Alfred (Surveyor)/
(These names in two columns)
PMSA recording information