National Recording Project

  ..

Detail from: Memorial to 158 Squadron by Peter W. Naylor, 2009

Anvil Stones: Memorial to Bities and Tackies

Summary

Type Other , Readymade

     A formation of about 70 stones mounted on a concrete mound. Many of the stones have square holes of varying sizes and depths, which held the base of metal working stakes (cast iron blocks which function like small anvils).
          Bitties and tackies were the bit-makers and tack-makers whose trades started to flourish in Bloxwich from the late eighteenth century. By the early nineteenth century metalwork had become more important to the area than agriculture. White's Directory of Staffordshire in 1834 records 80 Bloxwich firms in involved in bit-making at that time. By the early twentieth century the motor car had started to take over and the metal trades related to vehicle making became more important to the area.

Inscriptions

Wooden inscription board in front of stones: Anvil stones. These glacial stones were/ positioned in the early 1900's as a monument/ to the bitties and tackies of Bloxwich, who/ constructed needles and awl blades for use in the /leather industry.

Contributor details

Contributor Role
Walsall Council, None Other

Element details

Part of work Material Dimensions
Stone Glacial anvil stones; different types of rock; various colurs, pink, grey, and white Overall 200cm high x 375cm diameter

PMSA recording information

Reference Region
WMwaBLvh001 BM
General condition Good
Surface condition
  • Biological growth
Structural condition
  • Replaced parts
Vandalism
  • None
Road High Street (A34)
Precise location Short Heath Park
A-Z ref 23 1E
OS ref SJ998024
Date of design None
Year of unveiling c.1915
Unveiling details c.1915
Commissioned by Walsall Council
Duty of care Walsall Metropolitan Borough Council
Listing status Not listed
At risk? No known risk

‹‹ Back to search results